Sunday, May 22, 2011

Simulated stop motion

In Trapez I'm experimenting with what could be called "simulated stop motion". Instead of letting the software determine the inbetweening of any given motion, I prefer to do the animation manually frame by frame, limb by limb, moving the characters parts, as I would if it was a real puppet. Instead of taking a picture every 1/12 or 1/8 of a second (as in stop motion) the keyframes are automatically set by the software, and I furthermore have the advantage over tradtional stop motion, that I can turn on "onion skinning", thus being able to look forward and backwards in time.
By using this technique, I want to achieve an organic feel that is very far from the bland slickness of normal computer animation. And hopefully the unavoidable jerkiness and roughness of the resulting animation will by far be outweighed by the amount of life and personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment